The 2023 Youth World Championships will be held August 18-27 in South Korea. CEC is looking to build on our strong showing in Dallas in 2022.
This page contains a summary of the selection process already published in the CEC Event Team Selection Policy found here plus additional event information as it becomes available.
CEC is eligible to register a maximum quota of three (3) athletes in each age and gender category per discipline (Boulder, Lead, Speed) at the Youth World Championships. Unlike Senior World Cup events, there are no extra quota provisions for the YWCh.
Below are summaries of CEC’s published selection criteria used to fill these quotas.
- All 3 selections are made based on results from the 2022-2023 Speed National Championships, plus the meeting of the associated minimum performance times in Table 1 Below and published here.
- Athletes have until July 25, 2023 to meet the minimum performance time if they haven’t already done so in competition.
Youth A and Junior
- First Priority (maximum of 2 selections): Athletes ranked in the Top 6 of the Senior High Performance Program (HPP) as of April 1st, 2023. This includes meeting the senior HPP minimum performance times in Table 1 below and published here.
- Second Priority: Remaining spots in Youth A and Junior not filled under first priority above will be selected based on rankings from the 2022-2023 Speed National Championships plus meeting the associated minimum performance times in Table 1 below and published here.
Table 1 - 2023 Speed Minimum Performance Times
|YWCh Youth B||11.79s||9.27s|
|YWCh Youth A||10.59s||7.55s|
Minimum Performance Times and Alternate Selections
- Athletes who finish in a selection position (i.e. Youth B top 3 from Youth Speed Nationals) but have not yet met the minimum performance time requirement will have until July 25th to do so. Evidence of achieving the minimum performance time can be submitted via official results table showing the athletes name and time or via video submission on the CEC GameTime Platform here.
- Athletes in alternate selection positions (i.e. Youth B 4th to 6th from Youth Speed Nationals) who have met the minimum performance times will be selected in order of rank after July 25th IF athletes ranked higher decline the invitation OR fail to meet the minimum performance time requirement.
Boulder and Lead
- All 3 selections are made based on results from the 2022-2023 Youth National Championships, to be held in May 2023 in Calgary, AB.
Youth A and Junior
- First Priority (maximum of 2 selections): Athletes ranked in the Top 6 of the Senior HPP of the associated discipline (i.e. Boulder or Lead) as of the following dates:
- Boulder – April 1st, 2023
- Lead – May 6th, 2023
- Second Priority: Remaining spots in Youth A and Junior not filled under first priority above will be selected based on rankings from the 2022-2023 Youth National Championships, to be held in May 2023 in Calgary, AB.
- If a selected athlete declines the invitation, the next highest ranked athlete will be invited to a maximum the 6th place position from Youth Nationals.