Call for Applications – Livestream Host Commentator – National Championships
The CEC is accepting applications for the position of Livestream Host/Commentator at each of the three National Championships events in the 2019/20 season
The CEC will be showing livestream broadcasts for its Open Bouldering Nationals, Youth Bouldering Nationals and Lead and Speed Nationals. The successful applicant will be under contract for all three events for the 2019/2020 season.
The host/commentator will be required to provide live commentary for the semi-finals and finals of all events.
The commentator will be expected to be onsite and available during the qualifier rounds to meet with the gym owner, CEC representatives, broadcast technical team and other individuals connected to the event, prior to the broadcast for both semi-finals and finals.
The commentator will be responsible for all the commentary for the event, a co-commentator may be included, on a volunteer basis, at the discretion of the commentator with approval from the CEC.
The commentator is expected to be respectful, maintain the CEC brand, and conduct themselves in a respectful manner at all times during the live broadcast.
The commentator will work the broadcast team / CEC to plan event timings, camera placements and angles, introductory comments, sponsorship recognition, timing of commercials, interviews with athletes, and overall organization of the broadcast. This may include educating the production crew with expected framing of individual routes and boulder problems, balance of wide and close-up framing, replay logistics etc., in order to help ensure a successful broadcast.
Create a valuable viewing experience by effectively interpreting the complexities of climbing for viewers with various levels of understanding about competition climbing, and climbing as a whole.
The position requires creating strong relationships in a very short period of time with the staff at different climbing gyms, gym owners, routesetters, athletes of all ages and levels of competition experience, the production crew, and the CEC. The commentator will be expected to also interact with spectators of the event.
The commentator will be expected to conduct themselves with professionalism at all times as a representative, ambassador and advocate for competition climbing in Canada.
Experience and skills
Successful candidates will have the following experience and skills:
- Be comfortable speaking for extended periods on a live broadcast.
- Be able to communicate effectively in French and English.
- Be flexible and adaptable to changing conditions of a competition and live broadcast.
- Preference will be given to people with a minimum of 1 years experience doing live commentary for climbing event broadcasts.
- Be comfortable interviewing live on air, as well as preparing interviews that will be recorded.
- Be able to speak about the sport of climbing in technical detail.
- Have a strong understanding of climbing competition formats.
- Have a strong understanding of training and preparation for climbing competitions.
- Have a strong understanding of routesetting techniques and philosophies.
- Have excellent problem solving capabilities.
- Have excellent communication skills and be able to conduct effective interactions with all personnel connected to climbing competitions.
The Host/Commentator is expected to arrive 1 day in advance of the competition.
- travel and accommodation (to be approved by CEC)
- contract fee for the number of days of broadcasting as follows:
- 1-day contract = $500
- 2-day contract = $800
Applications will be open from December 6th to 11:59 pm PDT, December 26th/2019.
Email applications including personal CV to: email@example.com