Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, with its related risks and restrictions, the CEC, in consultation with the CEC Chief Medical Officer and CEC High Performance Committee, has made several decisions and contingency plans regarding Canadian National Team participation at International Events for the remainder of 2020. These decisions were made after considering the following factors:
- The IFSC posted its action plan timeline on April 6, 2020. They will communicate the status of remaining events 60 days in advance.
- July events are postponed following an announcement posted April 23, 2020.
- Athlete Health and Safety considerations:
- Current and future state of the COVID-19 outbreak in Canada, affecting travel and other restrictions.
- Current and future state of COVID-19 outbreak in host countries.
- Athlete access to training facilities in Canada.
- Athlete mental health.
- Athlete Long-Term Development considerations (value of attending International event with little or no preparation time).
- Logistics and planning implications of the short turnaround times between announcement of IFSC event status and actual event date.
The following decisions have been made:
- Youth World Championships – CEC will not send a team to Russia in August, even if confirmed by the IFSC. If the YWC is re-scheduled to later in 2020, a decision will be made based on new dates, location and logistics.
- Rationale: The analysis of the current situation and several models of course of the outbreak in Canada show that social distancing guidelines are likely be in place well into June and training facilities will likely not be re-opened before mid-June if not later. This does not leave sufficient time for athletes to prepare for YWC. In addition, logistics to travel to Russia in August are very difficult and health and safety concerns in Moscow are significant.
- IFSC Events after September 1, 2020 – Youth and World Cup events scheduled and/or confirmed to take place after Sept 1, 2020 will be considered on a case by case basis using the contingency criteria below:
2020 IFSC Event Contingency Criteria
All of the following criteria must be met in order to have Canadian athletes attend World Cup or Youth World Championships confirmed to take place after September 1, 2020:
- Travel restrictions lifted in Canada, host country and any transit countries required;
- Training facilities in Canada available to all athletes at least 21 days prior to Event date;
- Ability to secure travel insurance (for both flight and medical);
- Athletes are mentally and physically prepared to compete;
- Athletes cleared medically via personal health care provider including COVID-19 screening;
- Medical advice indicates health risks to athletes and staff related to COVID-19 and the travel/logistics of the event are zero.
As the IFSC is considering a possible 2020 Lead and Speed events, CEC is developing criteria for National Team Athlete selection. If timing and logistics permit, selection events (competition or camp) will be used to select teams. If selection events are not possible, teams will be selected using a combination of 2019 IFSC events and 2019 National Team Program Lead and Speed Rankings. Detailed selection criteria for 2020 Lead and Speed events will be announced when information from IFSC makes it possible.