Climbing Escalade Canada (CEC), along with the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) and the Canadian Sport Community, condemns Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and breaking of the Olympic Truce. In solidarity with Ukraine and Ukrainian athletes, the CEC fully supports all sanctions imposed on Russia and Belarus by the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC).
In line with recommendations issued by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the IFSC announced the implementation of the following measures:
- To suspend all IFSC competitions scheduled to be held in Russia and Belarus until further notice, including the IFSC Boulder and Speed World Cup in Moscow (RUS), the IFSC Youth European Cup in Kaliningrad (RUS) – in accordance with IFSC Europe – and the 2023 IFSC Youth World Championships;
- To suspend all Russian and Belarusian athletes and team officials from IFSC competitions;
- To nominate replacements for all the Russian and Belarusian IFSC Officials appointed to competitions in 2022.
- To suspend all representatives of the Russian and Belarusian Member Federations that are currently part of IFSC Commissions;
- To suspend all representatives of the Russian and Belarusian Member Federations that are currently part of IFSC Working Groups; and
- To revoke the invitation to the Russian and Belarusian Member Federations to attend the upcoming XVIII IFSC General Assembly in Salt Lake City, USA.
CEC stands alongside our Ukrainian friends and fellow Canadians. If you have any questions regarding this statement, or any comments as to how CEC can support Ukraine and Ukrainians, please contact email@example.com
IFSC Statement – March 2, 2022
IFSC Statement – March 4, 2022